Berrigan feel Bulldogs bite

By Jamie Lowe

Berrigan has been forced to use their double chance privilege following a 24 point loss to Strathmerton in a qualifying final against Strathmerton at Picola on Sunday.

After a tight first half the Bulldogs bridged a 20 point gap in the third term, holding that advantage until the final siren.

Theo Thomas and Lance Oswald kicked two goals each for Strathmerton, with Matt O’Kane, Adrian Crestani, Tyron Hill and Nathan McNair among the best players.

For Berrigan, Ted Walliss was his monumental self with three goals, while Tom Walliss, Kyle McQualter, Lee Schmidt and Tom Beams stood out.

Final score, Strathmerton 8.10 (58) to Berrigan 5.4 (34).

The Saints got off to a good start with Ted Walliss kicking two goals in succession.

It seemed they had all the momentum but after an eye injury forced Jake Beams from the ground before the end of the first it all seemed to go Strathmerton’s way.

Goals were hard to come by for the Saints for the second and third quarters as the Dogs kicked four unanswered goals while keeping Berrigan goalless.

The backline fought hard with Tom Walliss proving a headache for the Dogs with his continuous rebounding efforts while Tim Cooper used his lethal boot to great effect with his 60m pin point passes.

Two goals each in the last meant the Dogs would hold on for the win.

Playing-coach Lee Schmidt again was superior by hand and foot around the ground but it wasn't enough.

With a few big ins this week the Saints should be able to regroup and go harder when they travel to Yarroweyah to take on an in-form Deni Rovers on Sunday.

It was a disappointing day for the Berrigan reserves at Waaia, suffering their first loss of 2019 in a three point thriller against the Rovers.

Only a handful of players seemed to get off at the station for the twos train as the Rovers' run and spread made the Saints look lethargic out on the ground.

It took until the end of the third before the Saints started to get their mojo back.

However, it was too little too late as even though Berrigan had all the play in the last the Roos flooded the forward line and made it difficult to score.

The Saints had their chances but a few wayward kicks in front of goal sealed their fate and left them to cash in their double chance.

Berrigan's semi final against Blighty, to be played at Mathoura on Saturday, is sure to be fierce.