Pro Golfer Malcolm Fraser grew up in Corowa and is working hard behind the scenes to save his beloved club.
Olympian and pro golfer Marcus Fraser announced at last night’s community meeting that the Corowa golf course and pro shop would continue to operate beyond this weekend.
Hold tight - we’re checking permissions before loading more content
Mr Fraser, who grew up in Corowa, picked up the phone after learning of the club’s imminent closure last week and called on Malcolm McLean, Brett Cuthbert, Richard Sargood and Graeme Chester to volunteer their time in forming a working party to save the golf club.
He was also approached by former Australian cricket captain Ricky Ponting who has offered his support to help raise $200,000 for the club.
“When the news broke about the closure of the golf club, Ricky Ponting called me and said ‘we cannot let this happen,” he said.
Less than seven days after publicly declaring insolvency, the club showed is showing it still has a pulse, with a respectful crowd of more than 300 turning out in support to listen to what they had to say.
“The main objective for tonight was to ensure that our golf course would continue to be maintained and remain open for play,” Mr Fraser said.
“I’m happy to announce that this will happen and the pro shop and golf course will remain open, albeit with a skeleton staff, as of Monday morning.
“We still have a long way to go, but this is a huge step forward and we’re very excited that our members and guests will be able to continue playing golf.
“While we’re frustrated and angry, now is the time for all of us to unite and fight to save our club.
“This is not and end game scenario, we want to rebuild this place so that it is fully operational as soon as possible and successful once again.
“We need to consider new options and not revert back to our past models to come up with a new model going forward.”
A community meeting to address the future of Corowa Golf Club filled the parking lot.
Mr Fraser said the party hoped to meet with the golf club board again today to continue discussions surrounding the club’s operational aspects, restructuring and recovery to continue to provide updates to the community.
“Multiple plans are continuing to be worked on to ensure that the course stays active,” he said.
“Initial fund-raising efforts are already in place, and we aim to raise more than $200,000 to give us a head start and lay the platform for recovery.
“Golf NSW is seeking to complete a full audit of Corowa Golf Club alongside the club to determine a completely reworked business model and mode of operation to ensure a successful future.”
Support has been pouring in from around the country since news first broke last week of the club’s imminent closure.
Golf clubs from Wangaratta, Port Arlington, Sydney and many more have reached out to collectively say, “We cannot let this happen”.
Mayor Cheryl Cook addresses a respectful crowd of more than 300 to pledge Federation Council's support to the golf club recovery effort.
Federation Council, represented by mayor Cheryl Cook and general manager Adrian Butler, pledged their support towards the recovery effort.
“I’ve always had a fondness for Corowa,” Cr Cook said.
“But when this news came out here a few days ago, it was like a smack in the head.
“We feel devastated for you, as the locals and golfers who live and breathe golf here, and who have been here for decades.
“We want you to know we’re working strongly behind the scenes.
“We’re behind you; we will look for solutions working closely with the golf club.
“Because we can’t lose this; the town can’t lose it, the economy can’t lose it.”
Updates will be made available to the public as they progress.